I dont know about you but I LOVE LOVE LOVE garage sales! But not everyone does. They think they are gross and would not be seen dead at one or especially wearing anything from one. My husband used to be this way before we met and for quite a while afterwards. He did not know it but items from garage sales “somehow” ended up in his closet. Shhhhh! Dont tell him! 🙂
He got over it after a few years of watching what I came home with; quality clothing and items that looked almost new. Today he encourages me to go and will even come with me once in awhile! In fact, last year on my birthday he even took me.
Below is a list of 7 reasons you should be buying from garage sales. This list is for the skeptics like my hubby was 🙂
- Money savings – There is no denying this one. I once went to one where there must have been a little girl my daughters size. I came home with a whole new wardrobe for her for under $30!
- Help your community – People pay so much for clothing that it is unreal. I think I would die before I paid $60 for a pair of jeans. Then I would be so sick to my stomach and would have to return them. But you would not believe the amount of people who do this all the time without thinking twice. Or maybe you are one. There is nothing wrong with that but once the item is outgrown or not useful anymore, people have garage sales to try to get a little bit of that money back.
- Help the environment – There are so many millions of pounds of clothing that get thrown away each year. Majority of those items are ones that could be used again and are in perfectly good condition.
- Thrill of the hunt – Do you ever get a rush from buying things on a good sale or on clearance? It gives you exactly the same rush.
- Anything can be washed – Anything you can buy at a garage sale is also anything that you can wash to get rid of “germs”. I am not saying that any place you stop will have an absolutely clean household but soap and water go a long way 🙂
Basically the overview is that you have fun, save money while helping the environment and your community. I would say that is a win/win for everyone.
I think for me it is about saving money and the thrill of the hunt. The rest is just gravy 🙂 Is there any more you can think of?
I challenge you to think about this list the next time you see a garage sale sign.